Sunday, June 14, 2015

Oh Give Me a Home Where the Buffalo Roam.........


It’s been exactly two weeks since I took possession of my new home in Larkspur - you know, that place out in the middle of nowhere. Two weeks spent not doing much else but moving boxes, unpacking boxes, and breaking down boxes. No writing, taking pics, playing the ukulele, or yoga, just moving things from one place to another and back again. Also, thanks to my impeccable planning, no internet, TV, or radio (until I found one packed away in a box). Buddy the dog is completely stupefied - wondering what’s happening to his life.

Of course, there’s still plenty to do, but now, after a couple of weeks, things are starting to look up. After wrangling with my internet provider for weeks, I finally have wifi. This will explain why I haven’t posted anything about Larkspur/Perry Park since my initial announcement that I’m back on my blog and hope to share some pretty interesting things about Colorado.

But feeling confident that the essential stuff was accomplished at home, I took a trip into Castle Rock for various and sundry supplies, On my way back I drove by this small, but magnificent herd of American Bison just outside of Castle Rock near Dawson Butt. 

It’s been an incredible Spring in Colorado, with copious amounts of snow, rain and hail.  The most obvious and beneficial result of all this precipitation is a landscape that looks more like the Pacific Northwest that the Colorado Front Range. And the bison, cattle, and other prairie dwellers are no doubt enjoying the benefits of fresh green grass and a mild climate.

I recently heard that a couple of people up in Yellowstone National Park were attacked by bison this spring. Now attack is a pretty harsh word and I'll bet those people were probably not using much common sense when they approached the herd to get that perfect Facebook pic. Remembering the article about the "attack" I kept my distance, despite a pretty serious fence, and the fact that this herd has probably been domesticated down to the level of dairy cattle.
Still it was really cool driving down the road and seeing them - and feeling a little remorseful about their history on the Great American Plains.

Back at the house I've begun to attract masses of hummingbirds, due of course to an enticement of sugar water.  A story for another day, but this little greenback is, I think, a broadtail hummer, and the only picture I could get of the little gem worth posting. They move quite a bit faster than the bison.




Cheers for now - 

No comments:

Post a Comment